PROPOSED / UNFUNDED DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS
1. LAKE KATWE SALT PROJECT
Local production of salt for both human and animal consumption from the deposits at Lake Katwe will save the Ugandan economy the badly needed foreign exchange spent on imports. The proposed salt project will not only produce salt but other potential products such as Sodium sulphate, Potassium chloride. UDC is to revalidate the feasibility study that was undertaken in 1996 to ascertain the viability of the project before it can invest in the project.
2. KIIRA EV PROJECT
The KIIRA EV Project is aimed at the establishment of KIIRA Motors Corporation the Pioneer Original Equipment Manufacturer in East Africa. KIIRA Motors Corporation (KMC) is a platform for commercialization of the KIIRA Vehicle Technology and/or the creation of synergies for the manufacture of motor vehicles in Uganda
- A Consultant was identified to undertake a commercial study to determine the viability of the project.
3. UGANDA WILDLIFE SAFARIS
Tourism is one of the priority sectors in the National Development plan and vision 2040. UDC intends to invest in this sector through a joint venture with the private sector (Uganda Wildlife Safaris). The proposed project aims at developing and promoting diversified tourism products and services.
- A consultant was identified to undertake a feasibility study for the project and the study has commenced.
4. SHEET GLASS
KIMU investment intends to partner with UDC to set up a sheet glass manufacturing plant in Uganda to utilize the local raw material (pure white silica) available on the shores of Lake Victoria, Dimu beach in Kalisizo district.
Sheet glass is one of the fundamental building materials in the construction industry which is growing rapidly in Uganda
- KIMU investment is securing an exploration license at the shores of L.victoria to explore silica a basic raw material in the production of sheet glass. Chemical composition of the raw material will be carried out to ascertain the quality.
The demand for cement in Uganda and the Great Lakes region is growing due to increased construction and economic growth. The current cement factories (Hima and Tororo) in Uganda are not able to satisfy the rapidly increasing domestic demand for cement hence a deficit in cement production. In order to reduce the current deficit, UDC intends to set up a 2500 t/day production line in Moroto district. This will be in partnership with the private sector.
- Acquired 30 acres of land in the industrial park and UDC has accepted the offer. Awaiting the assessment of the necessary premium from UIA.
6. DEVELOPMENT OF THE IRON AND STEEL INDUSTRY
- Large deposits of iron ore exist in the Eastern (Tororo) and the South –western (Kisoro- Kabale) regions of Uganda. The ore deposits of Kisoro-Kabale consist of an iron-rich hematite grade which is of good quality for the production of steel.
- Uganda aims at transforming the mining sector by adding value to its mineral resources for domestic consumption and the export market. UDC intends to either produce sponge iron(metal scrap) or steel production. This will be ascertained by the viability of both products.
7. ESTABLISHMENT OF SILOS
- Uganda’s economy is dominated by agricultural commodity production and trade. . In order to have a smooth and sustained supply of agricultural commodities for feeding the population and trading, availability of commodity storage and preservation facilities are required. UDC will not only store the produce but will add value to the produce so as to earn more revenue from the product.
- There is a need for the construction of food Silos (especially cereals and grains).
- Feasibility study is yet to be undertaken.
- This project will involve the construction of at least two - 100,000 MT silos and related post harvest cereal processing. (This may be primary, secondary, or may otherwise be determined by the feasibility study).