1. SUGAR PROCESSING PLANT
Establishment of a sugar processing plant in Amuru District in Northern Uganda through equity participation in Horyal Investment Holdings Company Limited.
2. LAKE KATWE SALT PROJECT
Local production of salt for both human and animal consumption from the deposits at Lake Katwe will save the Ugandan economy the badly needed foreign exchange spent on imports. The proposed salt project will not only produce salt but other potential products such as Sodium sulphate, Potassium chloride. A draft feasibility report for the project has been prepared and efforts are underway to finalize the feasibility study for the project.
3. KIIRA MOTORS CORPORATION
KIIRA Motors Corporation (KMC) was incorporated as a private company for the development of motor vehicles in Uganda. Jointly owned by UDC and Makerere University, It is an offshoot of the Kiira Motors Project whose industrial potentialities were recognised transitioning into a Government program for automotive industrialization through the Kiira Motors Corporation. The ultimate goal is to produce vehicles made in Uganda.
- A Memorandum of Understanding has been prepared between KMC and a prospective technology partner for the establishment of a Vehicle Assembly plant in Uganda.
4. TOURISM AND HOSPITALITY
Concession and lease of Hotel Facilities to TPS LTD (concessionaire of the Serena Hotel and Conference Center in Kampala) through Nile Hotel International Limited.
5. NATIONAL COMMODITIES EXCHANGE AND TRADING PLATFORM
Establishment of a trading platform for key commodities produced in Uganda, using the warehouse receipt system through equity participation in Uganda National Commodities Exchange Limited.
6. GLASS MANUFACTURING
UDC intends to partner with an investor to set up a sheet glass manufacturing plant in Uganda to utilize the local raw material (pure white silica) available on the shores of Lake Victoria, Dimu beach in Kalisizo district.
Sheet glass is one of the fundamental building materials in the construction industry which is growing rapidly in Uganda.
A draft feasibility study report was submitted and comments were shared with the consultant for incorporation in the final report.
The demand for cement in Uganda and the Great Lakes region is growing due to increased construction and economic growth. The current cement factories (Hima and Tororo) in Uganda are not able to satisfy the rapidly increasing domestic demand for cement hence a deficit in cement production. In order to reduce the current deficit, UDC intends to set up a 2500 t/day production line in Moroto district. This will be in partnership with the private sector.
- A final feasibility study report has been submitted by the consultant which is currently under review by UDC before a decision can be made on the proposed investment.
8. DEVELOPMENT OF THE IRON AND STEEL INDUSTRY
- Value addition to the large deposits of iron ore exist in the Eastern (Tororo) and the South –western (Kisoro- Kabale) regions of Uganda. The ore deposits of Kisoro-Kabale consist of an iron-rich hematite grade which is of good quality for the production of steel.
- Uganda aims at transforming the mining sector by adding value to its mineral resources for domestic consumption and the export market. UDC intends to either produce sponge iron(metal scrap) or steel production. This will be ascertained by the viability of both products.
9. ESTABLISHMENT OF SILOS
- Uganda’s economy is dominated by agricultural commodity production and trade. . In order to have a smooth and sustained supply of agricultural commodities for feeding the population and trading, availability of commodity storage and preservation facilities are required. UDC will not only store the produce but will add value to the produce so as to earn more revenue from the product.
- There is a need for the construction of food Silos (especially cereals and grains).
- Feasibility study is yet to be undertaken.
- This project will involve the construction of at least two - 100,000 MT silos and related post harvest cereal processing. (This may be primary, secondary, or may otherwise be determined by the feasibility study).
10. Other viable investment opportunities that can be explored are in ICT, Healthcare systems and Energy