The Kalangala Infrastructure Services Ltd is currently engaged in construction of key infrastructure components on Bugala Island. The activities are aimed at setting up a utility company to provide key infrastructure services to the island. The components of the infrastructure development are as follows;
- Road Works: Rehabilitation, expansion and upgrade of the 66km Main Island Road to first class murram and rehabilitation of two (2) ferry landings at Luuku and Bukakata.
- Ferry Service: Construct two new ferries to provide ferry transport services between Luuku and Bukakata.
- Power Supply Systems – Development of a power generation plant, and construct a distribution network throughout Bugala island.
- Water Supply Systems – To rehabilitate and expand the Kalangala Town Council water supply system and construct water supply systems for 5 major fish landing sites.
- Works between 33km to 66km (Kalangala Town council to Mulabana) has been completed. Works between 0km to 33km is still on-going. Current progress is estimated at 96%;
- The two ferries MV Ssese and MV Pearl are operating between Luuku and Bukakata.
- All transmission & distribution power lines were constructed;
- There are 1952 out of the 2258 clients connected to the power grid;
- Power plant was constructed and all the requisite equipment installed.
- A total of 12.5km of Kalangala town council water supply transmission & distribution systems covering areas of Mweena, Bujumba, Bumangi & Lutoboke were laid. 125 customers have been registered within the KTC area and formally connected to the water supply system. Mulore and Kagulube Water System are ready for takeover.